On Monday, New York police said they had apprehended a second adolescent who had allegedly been involved in the shooting death of an 11-year-old girl in the Bronx last week.
Omar Bojang, 18, is suspected of being the moped’s driver when his passenger, a 15-year-old, reportedly opened fire on a 13-year-old youngster. They said that Kyhara Tay, 11, was hit by a gunshot meant for the kid.
What Charges to Bring Against Bojang
Although the Bronx District Attorney’s Office has yet to decide what charges to bring against Bojang, police have recommended murder, manslaughter, and criminal possession of a weapon.
According to NYPD Chief of Detectives James Essig, the 15-year-old suspect was apprehended peacefully at a Bronx hotel on Friday. He claimed that the adolescent and his mother had made the reservation the night before.
Essig said the 15-year-old is being charged with second-degree murder, first-degree manslaughter, and criminal possession of a weapon.
According to reports, the incident occurred on a Monday evening at 5 o’clock. Kyhara was shot in the stomach and pronounced dead at a local hospital that night. The tragic shooting is the latest example of New York’s problem with rising gun violence, which has spread to the city’s youth. A 11-month-old child was sitting in a car with her mother on a Bronx street in January when the mother was wounded in the face by a stray gunshot.
Adams noted that the average ages of the victims were 11, 15, and 18. To paraphrase a popular saying, “Illegal firearms are as easy to buy as candy and comic books.”
Adams noted that 2,887 firearms had been removed from circulation since he took office, but that more guns were appearing.
The commissioner of the New York City Police Department, Keechant Sewell, made these remarks at a press conference on Friday: “The gunman took the life of a perfectly innocent, utterly uninvolved 11-year-old girl.”
When asked why an eleven-year-old shouldn’t be allowed to stand outdoors in broad daylight, I refused to respond that she was in the wrong area.
Darcel Clark, the district attorney for the Bronx, has reported that 16 minors under the age of 17 had been shot this year. Clark said 11 of the fatalities were children younger than 15, including 5 who were younger than 14.